Mhairi Abbas is a graduate of Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design in Dundee. Achieving First Class Honours in Textile Design BDes, specialising in textile, knit and colour design.
Currently building a contemporary design brand. Producing luxury knitted scarves and accessories through small batch production. High quality beautifully finished products in a variety of styles, made on a hand powered knitting machine with hand dyed Merino wool. Designs are inspired by the Shetland Islands.
Successfully secured a Design Residency at Duncan of Jordenstone College of Art and Design. As well as developing and producing my own work this involves teaching experience and assisting the Textile Design department.
My graduate collection was awarded the New Designers Shillingford Dulux Colour in Design Associate Prize.
- Textile Design BDes First Class Honours – DJCAD - 2017
- National Certificate in Art and Design - Shetland College - 2013
- Higher English - Shetland College - 2012
- Intermediate 2 in Maths and Computing - Shetland College - 2012
- Access to Art, Contemporary Art Skills - Shetland College - 2012
At both College and University, I was nominated as a Student Rep. This has developed my communication and organisational skills through looking after the affairs of my fellow students.
- Awarded the New Designers Shillingford Dulux Colour in Design Associate Prize
- Work exhibited at MoOD Brussels 2017
- Work included in the Material Lab library
- Featured in WGSN trend forecasting
- Design Residency (11 months) at Duncan of Jordenstone College of Art and Design
- The Bradford Textile Society 2015/16 Clothworkers’ Foundation - Commendation
- PVG Disclosure Scheme
- Over 3 years of customer service experience
- 2 years hospitality experience
Relevant skills include competence and experience with V bed knitting machines (Dubied, Stoll and Passap), Domestic knitting machines (Brother, Knitmaster, Silver Reed), linking and finishing techniques, industrial yarn winding, dye mixing and dye techniques, sowing machines, overlocker and hand stitching, Photography, CAD, Photoshop, laser cutting, screen printing, design development, sketchbook and prototyping.
- Whistlebare - Northumberland's Finest Natural Yarns. Duties: Photography, hand dying, labelling and feeding goats!
- Buna og Kleloftet – Voss, Norway. Duties: Tailoring, sowing, beading, overlocking and embroidery.
- Weave Store – Voss, Norway. Duties: Observing traditional Norwegian weaving, weaving and finishing.
- Shetland Wool Week. Duties: Preparation and set up for exhibition, set up for attendees and assisting visiting artists.
- NEoN Digital Arts Festival. Duties: Photography, encouraging participation from the public, assisting with workshops, collecting data and managing mailing list.
- Roseangle Arts Café. Duties: Assisting people with learning difficulties gain work experience, front of house waitressing and chefs assistant. Volunteer for over a year and was then taken on as a staff member.
Hobbies and interests
I have a small but wonderful allotment in which I spend much of my spare time tending to my vegetables. Any chance to go to the beach or out hill walking is taken whatever the weather! I push myself to run and keep active, achieving 5K and aiming for 10K next.